6/30/2016

Bingsu My Love

My first-ever Bingsu was in 2014 in Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe, Garosugil in Seoul.  I was with a friend and though it was a little bit chilly, she suggested that we try one of South Korea's famous desserts.  Who am I turn down dessert?
Ok, Bingsu or popularly known as Patbingsu is a dessert made with shaved milk ice, condensed milk and sweetened red bean paste.  Nowadays, with different Bingsu joints opening, the toppings and flavors have become diverse too.
So, let me go back to how I started my obsession with Bingsu... We went inside Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe.  The place was nice and cozy.  We only ordered one, which was the Blueberry Cheese snowflake.
Argh!!!I didn't know it was that huge!!!I honestly thought that we couldn't finish it.  But when she started pouring in the condensed milk, combined with the tartness of the blueberries and the creaminess of the cheesecake, I almost finished the whole thing by myself.  (it was that good!!!)
Now in Manila, I know that Sulbing recently opened in BGC, but it's too far from where I work so I had to settle to the one near my hometown in Pampanga.  Snow Bingsu, located in Clark, Angeles City serves "authentic" Patbingsus.

The first time I visited the place, I had to asked the waiter if they serve Patbingsu (with just the red bean) because it's not in their menu.
When it arrived at our table.  I was somehow disappointed.  It was already melting at the bottom.  Though the red bean paste was yummy, I believed that it didn't bring justice to the Bingsu of Seoul.
However, a few nights ago, we came back as I was really craving for it.  We ordered Oreo bingsu and Injeolmi (rice cakes or mochi) bingsu. I had to hold my breathe because I don't want to be disappointed again.

As soon as I saw the Oreo being whisked to our table, I knew that they were able to redeem themselves.  There was so much crushed oreos!
The mochi, they were a little bit bland but when they mixed with the milk ice and vanilla ice cream...It was heaven on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment